X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The do's and dont's of PortalBase

Please do
    • Remember the human. When you communicate online, all you see is a computer screen. When talking to someone you might want to ask yourself "Would I say it to the person's face?" or "Would I get jumped if I said this to a buddy?"
    • Adhere to the same standards of behavior online that you follow in real life.
    • Moderate based on quality, not opinion. Well written and interesting content can be worthwhile, even if you disagree with it.
    • Use proper grammar and spelling.
    • Link to the direct version of a media file if the page it was found on isn't the creator's and doesn't add additional information or context.
    • Consider posting constructive criticism / an explanation and do so carefully and tactfully.
    • Feel free to post links to your own content (within reason). But if that's all you ever post, or it always seems to get voted down, take a good hard look in the mirror — you just might be a spammer. A widely used rule of thumb is the 9:1 ratio, i.e. only 1 out of every 10 of your submissions should be your own content.
    • State your reason for any editing of posts. Edited submissions are marked by an asterisk (*) at the end of the timestamp after three minutes. For example: a simple "Edit: spelling" will help explain. This avoids confusion when a post is edited after a conversation breaks off from it. If you have another thing to add to your original comment, say "Edit: And I also think..." or something along those lines.
    • Read over your submission for mistakes before submitting, especially the title of the submission. Comments and the content of self posts can be edited after being submitted, however, the title of a post can't be. Make sure the facts you provide are accurate to avoid any confusion down the line.

Please don't
    • Engage in illegal activity.
    • Post someone's personal information.
    • Repost deleted/removed information. Remember that comment someone just deleted because it had personal information in it or was a picture of gore? Resist the urge to repost it. It doesn't matter what the content was. If it was deleted/removed, it should stay deleted/removed.
    • Be (intentionally) rude at all. By choosing not to be rude, you increase the overall civility of the community and make it better for all of us.
    • Conduct personal attacks. Ad hominem and other distracting attacks do not add anything to the conversation.
    • Insult others. Insults do not contribute to a rational discussion. Constructive Criticism, however, is appropriate and encouraged.
    • Troll. Trolling does not contribute to the conversation.
    • Report posts just because you do not like them. You should only be using the report button if the post breaks the subreddit rules.

In regard to new submissions
    • Use the word "BREAKING" or other time sensitive words in your submissions. By the time your post reaches the front page, it probably won't be 'breaking' anymore.
    • Post hoaxes. If snopes.com has already declared something false, you probably shouldn't be submitting it
    • Write titles in ALL CAPS.
    • Editorialize or sensationalize your submission title.
    • Use link shorteners to post your content. There are few reasons to hide what you're linking to, and most of them are sneaky (if you are, use the "preview" feature that those services offer).

In regard to comments
    • Make comments that lack content. Phrases such as "this", "lol", and "I came here to say this" are not witty, original, or funny, and do not add anything to the discussion.
    • Complain about cross posts. Just because you saw it in one place, doesn't mean everyone has seen it.

Working...
X